A trip to discover a fascinating Island and its people!
An exciting photographic journey to discover the magic of Cuba, the timeless island. In its eleventh edition, this intense 11 days traveling workshop will bring us from Havana, through coffee and tobacco plantations, to a colonial style town.
Starting point of our tour will be the charming Capital, an ancient city which is the most beautiful example of Spanish colonial architecture that is conserved in the Americas. We will enjoy the throbbing, warm lifestyle and the hospitality of its friendly people. And we will let us be charmed by the decadent retro atmosphere of this Island stuck in the past.
After a few days in Havana we will begin our journey to the island’s interior to discover the true soul of Cuba. Small country towns like Trinidad and Viñales will project us into the world of Cuban “campesiños” to breath first hand the ever-living revolutionary spirit of the socialist island. Our two destinations are both part of the Unesco Heritage, and even though quite touristic nowadays they still preserve their uniqueness and features.are i propri soggetti, come trovare le giuste ambientazioni e come gestire le luci.
To fully enjoy the life of the place all journeys will be made by local transports (private cars), and for overnight stays we will enjoy the hospitality of the Cuban families who run the “casas particular”, a kind of B&B. The meals will be organized from day to day depending on the route.
Please note: The itinerary has been designed to provide numerous opportunities for travelers to engage in meaningful interactions with Cubans, using photography as a medium for enhancing the educational exchange and cultural exploration. We usually travel in small groups to offer a personal experience that goes beyond a simple tourist trip. We want the workshop to be an opportunity to start knowing the another Cuba which can be different, and maybe more real, than the one which is often described. As much as possible, we will therefore avoid touristic places and organized tours.
While we do our best to adhere to the itinerary listed here, traveling requires flexibility, and changes to activities may occur
- 1° day – Arrival at Havana. Welcome the group
- 2° day – Photo Walk to discover Havana: Malecon, Habana Centro and Habana Vieja.
- 3° day – Early morning trip to Trinidad (6 hours). Arrival around 2 p.m. Photo walk through the narrow streets of old colonial town. Evening at the local open-air “casa della Trova” (a kind of music lounge very typical in Cuba).
- 4° day – Rise early for a sunrise photo walk followed by breakfast, then spend the day exploring the quiet town of Trinidad to meet and photograph local residents.
- 5° day – Another day in Trinidad with the possibility to spend time by the Caribbean sea at the near Playa Ancon.
- 6° day – Return to Havana. Photo tour of the city.
- 7° day – Trip to Viñales (3 hours). Afternoon to discover this little town
- 8° day – Visits to the local Tobacco plantations where cigars are produced. Meet with the community members and campesiños. Possibility for a horseback ride, which is a typical means of transport in this part of the Country.
- 9° day – Photo tour of Viñales and its countryside. If available we will take part in a Rooster fight, in a secret place in the countryside.
- 10° day – Return to Havana. Another day to enjoy its lively atmosphere. If possible we will experience a Rumba show in the street of the Capital, a mesmerizing performance of Afro-Cuban dance and drumming. Time to discover Vedado a less touristic district of Havana.
- 11° day – Transfer to the airport for your flight home.
Viaggiamo per fotografare e per conoscere
Italian freelance photographer based in Bologna, Italy. He started working as a photographer in 1995. After a close collaboration with major photo studios of Bologna, he founded “Foto Image”, his own studio in 1999. He actively collaborate with associations and NGOs, such as: MSF (Doctor Without Borders) and Amnesty International, for whose he has realized reportages on social issues.
His work has been published on international magazines or websites like TIME LightBox, LFI – Leica Fotografie International, The Guardian and Cubadebate.
In 2015 he was awarded at the World Press Photo, and in 2016 his work about Cuba was among the 12 finalist at the prestigious Leica Oskar Barnack Award, among other recognitions.
Since 2017 he is one of the 3 Leica International Ambassador for the new Leica M10.
- A week of intensive photography workshop with Fulvio Bugani in Cuba.
- Daily meetings: individual and group lessons with the Master Photographer
- On-site activities associated with international professionals
- Accommodation in double room at local houses
Please note: The following are not included in the workshop fee:
- airfare (each partecipant should book his/her own flight)
- accomodation in single room or hotels
- all meals
- Health and travel insurance
- Visa, or necessary documents to get into the Country
- airport tax
- baggage fees
- tips if necessary
- individual expenses of any kind
- taxis and/or other ground transport
- photographic equipment of any kind
- trip cancellation insurance
The following terms and conditions represent the terms and conditions upon which you agree to participate in our photography workshop.
To avoid doubt, throughout the terms and conditions, the following terms will have the corresponding meaning:- “We” or “the photographer” or “Us” means Foto Image and its agents, contractors, representatives and consultants; “You” or “participant (s)” means the party or parties identified on the first page of this document under the heading ‘YOUR DETAILS’; “Workshop” means the workshop you wish to book.
Participants in a PhotoImageWorkshop must be 18 or over.
Click here to read the whole terms and conditions upon which you agree to participate in our photography workshop.
To participate in our workshop, please send us an email to email@example.com indicating your name, surname, e-mail address. You will be requested to pay a non-refundable registration fee of 500€. While the balance must be paid a month before the departure. Note that all the transaction costs will be at your charge.
There are a limited number of places available, to allow a better interaction between students and the Master photographers. Registration will be closed once the maximum number of participants is reached. It is therefore necessary to sign up well in advance and check with the secretariat the actual availability before paying the registration fee.
The workshop will be activated when the minimum number of students is reached. If this is not reached, the workshop will be canceled and all registration fees will be refunded. We will not be responsible for any costs associated with travel, accommodation, insurance or any other costs other than the workshop cost that may be associated, either directly or indirectly, with the cancellation of a workshop.
Aside from the registration, each student must provide for his/her own trip independently.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
WHAT OUR STUDENTS THINK OF US
I enrolled in the workshop to develop my ability as storyteller and to strengthen my photographic skills. I challenge myself, driven by the desire to shoot in a more conscious way. I was rewarded by the passion, skills and patience of the greatest Giulio Di Sturco and Fulvio Bugani who shared their work, commenting on my photos, even the most ugly, bad and boring, giving me advice, pointing out the mistakes and the details that I should seize. They forced me to look the world in a different way, to think that pictures speak louder than words, and that photography must convey emotion and communicate feelings. I have learned in a week more than I've learned in months and my passion and enthusiasm are grown.
Great experience! Fulvio, is an extremely helpful teacher with a great passion for the photography! A passion that is contagious. Fantastic even the workshops organized by him!
Congratulations! Very useful workshops, with high-level photographers. A great experience indeed.